Thursday, May 27, 2010

Another one of those little angels...

I mentioned my girlfriend earlier that was a nurse and had just finished her treatments, well, lemme tell ya, this lady has been a guiding light thru so much of this...she kept and keeps in total contact with me tho she lives an hour or so away...she even remembers when my chemo treatments are and sends me little encouragement texts...now this girl is one strong cookie and we do have lots of traits in common but there's one that we don't...being a nurse she was adamant about knowing the details of her disease and started down the path to share them with me...that's when I found out that there are times I appreciate being blissfully ignorant on some of the details...don't get me wrong, I wanna know the big stuff and I want the truth, but I want in my time...at the beginning I didn't want to know exactly what this cancer could do, how it grows and spreads and the medical terms for all the drugs I was on...I wanted to know I had it, how to get rid of it, and I'm perfectly comfortable calling my meds 'the little pacmans'...lol...actually tho, there was an important phone call I forgot to share with you...the evening I was given my diagnosis, I got a call from my GP to check on me...he gave some very wise advice...STAY OFF THE INTERNET...LOL...he told me not to go looking for information on my particular type of cancer cuz all it would do was scare me to death...even the best, most factual sites were misleading...by misleading I don't mean their info is incorrect, but what he was explaining to me is that statistics in medicine and science in general take years to accumulate accurately and that there is no way that studies can keep up with the advancements...I could read a statistic that says 1 in 6 people die from what I have in the first 3 years but that means that those were the numbers that were found from a study that prolly happened like 10 years ago, not what is happening today, cuz those studies wouldn't be out for another 10 years...I understood exactly what he meant and heeded his warnings and for that, I think I've been able to be more positive...each person is different and reacts differently to things and just becuz someone else gets sick from chemo or doesn't have success from a certain 'cocktail' doesn't mean I won't so I've left all the stats in my case up to my body...I figure out how I feel each day I wake up and go from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment