Thursday, May 27, 2010

My 'circle of trust' (thanks Deniro)


There's one thing that is very important when you get stuck in a position like mine and that's that you know when and how to ask for help...I'm not good at that...of course, as seen all the way from the start, my husband has been superman...my Dad, my stepmom, my mother-in-law, my best friend & her husband & mom, my aunts (who work for my GP btw) have all just 'done' for me without waiting for me to ask for help. They have and continue to be a support group that I could not make it one minute without! But then there's those other people, the ones who surprise you...since my diagnosis, it has been amazing to see the peeps who have stepped up and beyond the plate to go out of their way for me. I have made new and deeper connections with some people becuz they have demonstrated a fiber of being that was way beyond the call of duty. There's been 3 particular chicas that have been a lifeline just by realizing how bound up this disease has caused me to be and have made it a regular thing to pop into the house on a regular basis just to socialize...ahhhhh, socializing...after being in the bar biz for 20 years, my life had been one big social event. Not being about to get out and cut loose, especially during a time when it would be wonderful to 'forget my troubles' for an evening, has been stifling. Now these ain't gals I'd been friends with for years...one I'd known for a couple of years socially, one I had known for years and hung out with in the distant past, and one was someone I had basically 'met' thru Facebook and had a cancer journey story to tell all of her own...they were (and continue to be) an inspiration to friendship...
There was also another great lifeline in the beginning. It was a gentleman who had been a spiritual adviser of sorts to my husband's boss when he was going thru his own cancer stuff. He works with my hubs & had asked if he could come over that first week after we had found out how bad things were. I hadn't really had much of a spiritual life since my Mom had died. I still blamed God for that and, to be honest, wasn't really happy with Him now for my situation. This gentleman came to see us one morning and sat and talked with us. He told us a few stories of amazing healing he had witnessed and prayed with us. He reminded me that this wasn't a trip I wanted to take without a very experienced co-pilot and convinced me that it might be time to reconcile my relationship with God. He truly believed in the healing power of God and, interestingly enough, asked me if he could anoint me with oil. I was raised Southern Baptist and wasn't quite sure if I believed in that but I figured, with all his faith in it, I shouldn't be so skeptical. This guy was quite infectious and I can say without a doubt helped me to repair my outlook on the Almighty. God and I talk quite often now about all kinds of things and I will tell ya, He talks back...
With the good always comes the bad...the one thing you get to find out when life isn't just sugar and roses is what people are really made of. You find you have 'friends' that will be there for ya when the chips are down but when the chips are literally squashed to dust and it's gonna take quite a bit of time to piece them back together, they have a very short attention span...there is disappointment in my heart for certain people but I really don't have time or effort right now to dwell on that...I need my energy for positive things.

2 comments:

  1. That's hard (the way some people have short attention spans). Been there under different circumstances, but it's still hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This journey has really sorted out alot of things for me...we really don't have time in this world to fret over those who don't care & respect us....on the better hand, I have found some true angels down this path and for that I thank God everyday!

    ReplyDelete