Friday, May 28, 2010

Five and alive!

On my baby boy's 5 month birthday, we went in for my 5th chemo treatment. Doc said he wanted me to take an echo the following week after it so we can make sure there has been no damage to my heart and then we'll do one or two more...ugh...I was looking forward to number six being the last of it, but I guess we'll see, and it's like he said, we want to push as much of these meds, that seem to be doing such a great job, into my system as possible.
The veins in my right hand seem to be getting harder and harder for them to thread. They hafta poke me several times to get a good vein. They hafta do everything thru my right hand and arm since we took the cyst out of my left side. There's a chance I could contract something called lymphedema if I overly exert anything on that side which as I understand it is not a pleasant and almost untreatable condition. Trust me, it's a lot of fun trying to remember I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10lbs with my right arm, especially with a baby in the house...guess I can sell my bowling balls...

2 comments:

  1. I know have lymphedema in my right arm because I lifted and did to much with it. It's fat and noticable but rather have a swollen arm over breast cancer. I was 32 yrs old with 2 yr old twins in 2006 when I was told I had stage III ductal carcanoma. Even after lumpectomy, chemo (the red devil) and radiation I was rediagnosed with stage II in 2007. All while raising twins. Early 2008 I had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction which at that time the doctors removed 32 lymph nodes on the right side. It was unlikely to not lift 10lbs. Lymphedemia is a daily reminder but I will eventually put it behind me. Healing from the emotional and physical part is what I struggle with the most. Your husband shared this with a sister of mine. I give you kudos for being so brave as to posting this stuff.
    THANK YOU! Kristin Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to keep the lifting to a minimal when our baby weighs 20lbs at 7 months is next to impossible sometimes! I'm hoping with the rest of this, God sees fit to protect me from lymphedemia...thanks for the kudos...it's probably more therapeutic for me than anything else! ;-)

    ReplyDelete