Thursday, May 27, 2010

A moment of truth...

Not that there wasn't anything going on in the next 6 weeks, but my 2nd and 3rd chemo treatments had went amazingly well. I had no nausea and never even had to take the 'back up big dog' scripts I had been given in case I got sick. My blood tests were coming back great and the doctor even said that everyone's levels drop a bit during chemo but mine weren't. When I would see him, he'd ask a barrage of questions about how I was feeling and how my body was reacting and I almost felt like he didn't believe me when I said everything was great.
We'd come to the time for that 2nd PET scan. Now, I knew it would be nerve wracking but I had no idea how absolutely on edge I would be having to go get this test. I'd been able to go thru almost 2 full months getting treatments and being able to pretend there was nothing wrong. There were moments my mind would drift off to the worst case scenarios but I was finding the strength more and more to fight that off and focus on the positives. But here we were, back to reality, back to seeing what was going on in my body in black and white and not be able to pretend anymore that life was normal...
I went in for the scan and on my way out asked when the results would be in. They told me prolly by the afternoon...ugh...okay, more waiting...
I went home and tried to stay as busy as I could. I picked up my daughter and went shopping to try to keep my mind occupied...while we were out my cell phone rang and I recognized the number as my GP's. I was petrified to answer it, especially in public, but there was no way I could wait one more minute...I literally answered the phone 'I'm in the middle of a store so don't make me cry'....the next second of silence paralyzed me and seemed like a million years before I heard him say 'it's good news'...he went on to tell me that he was absolutely baffled by the fact that my cells were undetectable on the scan...I made him explain it to me so that I was completely clear on what that meant...he told me they had expected a positive change and hoped for a dramatic one, like 40% retreat, but this was at a rate of about 90% and it was nothing short of a miracle...I thanked him for making me cry in the store, he laughed, and we hung up so I could make the necessary phone calls. Standing right there in that store, I called my Dad, my husband, and my best friend to share our news...I was going to win this battle...I was on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment